Wednesday, 4 April 2018

A new structure for the layout - part 1

The Camden module shares a reasonable sized shed (10.5m x 6m x 3m) with years of accumulated things (some may say junk), kayaks, ride on mowers, trailer, cement mixer and heaps of bits and pieces. Room is always at a premium, its dusty and subject to the extremes of weather typically -2 to +40 degrees C where I live.

As the module progresses it is getting harder to move and extend and really needs its own dedicated space with much better temperature control and better dust protection. 

This year I put any further layout work on hold until I can build a train room. On our return from Europe early January my wife had a very serious fall with significant injuries. While doing my husbandly duties of taking care of her, I designed a room to fit across the back of the shed that has the internal dimensions after framing and lining taken into consideration of approximately 5.8m x 3.25m x 2.4m high.  This was followed by a quote for materials purchase and delivery.

Framing is 70mm x 35mm treated pine MTP10, bearers 140mm x 45 treated pine, wall and ceiling lining 9mm C/D grade ply in 2400mm x 1200mm sheets. Stud spacing was in multiples of 400mm to optimise the use of the ply. Cornices are maple Scotia mouldings and joins are covered with 30mm x 8mm maple strips. There is a very low mezzanine level with 3600mm x 900mm x 19mm Yellow/green tongue flooring covering the top of the bearers to free up some of the floor space.

The wiring for four double GPOs and two double fluorescent lights has been roughed in by my electrician neighbour  and will be connected when painting is finished. The framing went together pretty quickly, one of my Uncles helped out which was fantastic.  Actually bought a Ryobi Air Wave Framing nail gun from Bunnings worth every cent. Also have a Senco Brad finishing gun which was excellent for the attaching the plywood to the walls and doing skirts and architraves. The ceiling which was a little tricky as I did this solo using a combination of glue screws and brads to attach the ply to the beams.

There are R1.5 batts in the wall and R3.5 batts between the ply and yellow tongue in the ceiling. Access to the room is via a double doorway (2 x 820mm standard doors) noting that moving the layout into the room was a precision operation with little room for error.

This project while not yet completed has been much quicker to build than many of the HO scale buildings on the layout








Mitre 10 have just delivered the bulk of the materials for the project, the layout can be seen in the shed


Framing under way as well as dyna bolting to the slab, the observant people might say the sisalation is on back the front however I am trying to reflect heat out not in


Plywood panels being put up


Above and below most of the timber work completed just the cover strips on the ceiling, hanging the doors then painting to go


2 comments:

  1. I hadn't considered plywood for my future train room, so I thank you for planting the idea in my mind. It would be a lot easier to attach the layout framing to ply wood, then to make up a self supporting frame if I was using plasterboard for the walls, And fitting a lighting valence to the roof ceiling may also be better with ply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob,
    I dont intend to attach any part of the layout to the walls although I had considered it - long term it could be a workshop or studio when we eventually sell the place maybe another 100 years or so. I chose ply as its easy to work - hate gyprocking and its messy. In terms of cost ply is probably quite a few dollars more per sq metre than gyprock - good luck with it.

    Room is structurally finished, currently painting - had to modify the layout design a tad - hope to get back into layout construction May
    regards
    Kim

    ReplyDelete